Thursday, February 22, 2007

Subway Etiquette

One of my biggest pet peeves is poor subway etiquette. It amazes me how many people seem to have no thought or regard for anyone else around them while riding the TTC. After a particularly uncomfortable subway ride home I just have to rant about a few of the things that drive me crazy.

The back-pack.

I just don't get it - why would someone think that it's okay to enter a packed subway with their back-pack on? Especially when it takes up the space of at least one other person. I figure these people (and there are many) just can't figure it out for themselves that taking off their pack and putting it on the floor would be a better, more thoughtful option. I hope it's stupidity rather than just not giving a shit about anyone else around you. I know that people wearing their back-packs probably don't even realize they are hitting someone with it but having a gym shoe shoved into your side while clinging onto the 3 inches of pole that's left, does not make for a fun ride.

The seat hogger.

I didn't pay to stand on the subway while you have a place to put your bags. When mass amounts of people get on the subway, they shouldn't have to ask you to move your shit in order to sit. Have some courtesy and put your bags on your lap. Oh yeah - and get your stinking feet off the seats.

The door blocker.

Okay, so when the train is really busy and you're the last one in, sometimes there is no other choice but to stand right in front of the door. What drives me insane is when someone chooses to stand in front of the door when they could easily sit or stand further in. Even worse is when two people decide this is a good idea and people have to get into single file to get on or off. It's just rude.

The runner.

When you hear those chimes start, there is a moment whne you have to accept that you're missing the train. Not only do you look like an idiot when half your body, or your bags are now stuck in the door, but you hold everyone up as well.

And last but not least, the slow-poke.

My last complaint (I swear) is when people enter the train and then just stop and look for the perfect seat. People are coming in behind ya, so pick a seat and sit your ass down.

I realize that even thought I rant, we will all be confronted by rude, or just vacant transit riders tomorrow. I fantasize about putting those people in their spot. Of telling them how rude and unthoughtful they're being. Then all the other riders would applause and cheer for they were too meek to say anything. But let's be honest, the next time some one's back pack is pressed up against MY back as well, I'll probably just grin and bear it and maybe give a little shove back.

1 comment:

K2 said...

You tell em Ames. You tell the world.