Thursday, May 15, 2008

Cyclist in the City

There's a new cyclist in town. Well, I've been here for a while actually. About eight years to be exact. But I've only just become a cyclist. And it feels great. I feel like a real Torontonian now.

In the past, cyclists used to react in shock when I told them I didn't own a bike. They'd look at me like I was a really lame Torontonian. At leat, I felt that way. But I've always been afraid to navigate our busy streets. I've seen cyclists wipe out, I've known cyclists who have wiped out, and I've been a passenger in at least one car, in which the driver seethed with anger at cyclists that were seemingly in her way. But my thinking started to change after speaking to a couple of women at work about it. They too had been really scared, but they took the plunge anyway. And they said it wasn't that scary after all.

I have to admit the biggest catalyst for me wanting to get a bike was the TTC. It drives me nuts. The service is horrible and I'm paying 100 dollars a month for a pass. But now that I actually have a bike, the many reasons for having one are becoming clear. First of all, it's healthy! I might actually lose a few pounds on this thing! And it's better for the enviroment. If more of us put bicycles on the streets, maybe the city will be forced to make them more bike-friendly. I want to be a part of pushing a change in our car culture.

Second, it's fun! I feel like a kid again. There is so much freedom in having two wheels. I can now go to so many places, I otherwise wouldn't have, because now the trip is so quick.

I'm also realizing that having a bike is a great way to get out and see the city. Not the touristy stuff that is obvious to us all on the main streets, but the hidden nooks and crannies, that to me, make the city so wonderful.

I got my bike from a friend last Saturday. She's been riding a newer one. It wasn't until we walked both of our bikes over to her mechanic to get the tires filled, that I revealed I hadn't been on a bike in months. Her reaction was priceless. Her eyes got bigger and she said, "ohhhh". The mechanic suggested I ride around in a park before hitting the streets. But my friend figured the parking lot would do.

I felt so silly. I kept thinking of the phrase, "it's just like riding a bike. It all comes back to you". But it wasn't! Not right away, anyway. I was wobbly and insecure. But after a few spins around the parking lot, and tips and rules of the road from my friend, I headed home. And right away, I was thrilled. There I was, scared old me, riding the streets of Toronto! I got off at the major intersections to walk my bike across, but it still felt great.

I've been to the gym and back, and that's about it. But I'm going to map out the path of least resistance to work. Then I'm going to tell the TTC they can put their monthly pass where the sun doesn't shine. (Okay, I probably won't actually say that.)

I'm one of them now! A Toronto cyclist. And it feels great.

No comments: